Sunday, 22 September 2013

Flat Weave Rugs - Loving colour and avoiding crud

I am working on a new project which involves a home with open spaces where areas need delineating, but it must also suit a growing family. I have been drawn to flatweave rugs of all sorts, because they are graphic and vibrant, and frankly, they cling on to less dirt.

Tufted and textured rugs are all very well, but, speaking as someone who lives with a VERY textured rug in our living room, I can honestly say that the thousands of felted discs which I still love, hide some serious crud which takes more than mechanical removal, and my goodness, between breadsticks, rice-cakes, 7 variations of breakfast cereal (EVERY morning) and who knows what, can small people create crud.

So Dhurries (of Indian origin), Kilims (Persian) and plain English flat weave rugs are on my new wishlist, and here are a few that I've been lusting over. One of the best things about these rugs is also that generally they come in at a lower pricepoint than their hand-tufted brothers.
















Plastic (yes PLASTIC!) rugs from Brita Sweden. Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment